Carlsberg launches carbon neutral brewery in Sweden

By Rachel Arthur contact

- Last updated on GMT

The Falkenberg brewery in Sweden
The Falkenberg brewery in Sweden
Carlsberg Sverige’s brewery in Falkenberg, Sweden, is now 100% powered by biogas and green electricity, eliminating the brewery’s carbon emissions from thermal energy and electricity.

As part of its sustainability program, the Carlsberg Group wants to eliminate carbon emissions from all breweries, and use 100% renewable electricity in its breweries by 2022.

Swedish infrastructure

Carlsberg’s Swedish business - Carlsberg Sverige - is the leading beverage company in the country, with beer brands including Carlsberg, Falcon and Pripps Blå. 

Carlsberg says that Sweden’s well-functioning infrastructure and availability of biogas from the grid makes it possible to switch to fully renewable energy sources.

The Falkenberg brewery has been using green electricity for several years, and 26% of the thermal energy comes from biogas generated from the brewery's own waste water. The remaining 74% has come from natural gas, which has now been converted to biogas thanks to a cooperation with energy supplier Ørsted AB.

“Climate change is perhaps the most important issue for our society today, both for citizens, governments and companies all over the world, and we are very pleased with the positive development in Carlsberg Sverige,” ​said Simon Boas Hoffmeyer, sustainability director, Carlsberg Group.

Tom Delay, chief executive of the Carbon Trust, said the organization has been working with Carlsberg to explore the options to become a zero carbon brewer over the coming years, including the adoption of innovative energy efficiency technologies; own renewable electricity and heat; and sourcing of renewable energy such as biogas.

“Seeing this first Carlsberg brewery make this transition so soon is very encouraging and should be seen as a demonstration of how industries can embrace new technologies to mitigate climate change,”​ said Delay.

Carlsberg’s ‘Together Towards Zero’​ sustainability program was launched in July this year, pledging to eliminate carbon emissions and halve water usage at its breweries by 2030, alongside a transition to 100% renewable electricity by 2022.

Related topics: Carlsberg, Beer, Wine, Spirits, Cider, Beer

Follow us

Featured Events

View more

Products

View more

Webinars